Do you have water in your crawl space?
Water Damage in your Crawl Space
What do you do when water enters your crawl space?
- Let a professional inspect your home and crawl space. You want a technician who will know how to look for a foundation crack.
- Start the process of drying the water and moisture.
- Clean the debris, remove plastic material, and wet insulation
These tips are helpful when it comes to dealing with water damage for yourself; however, the best thing to do when you find water damage, is to call the professionals: SERVPRO® of Madison, Rockcastle, Garrard, & Lincoln Counties for help. We can check the water for the category which will tell us the contaminants. It will tell us how to clean it and other things to make your crawl space clean and dry again.
Call our offices today at 859-623-0000 if you notice water in your crawl space.
What Damages Smoking Can Cause in your Residential Home
During this time, the housing market is booming. Everyone is looking to get their home on the market or buy one. But, there are a few factors that can keep your home from selling well or selling at all. One of those is smoking. Smoking causes, well, smoke to infiltrate your home at every turn, and it is hard to penetrate those vapors to get them removed forever. Another reason smoking can be bad for your home is the fire damages it poses. Not only can the smoke damage your home, but the cigarette or cigar can actually pose harm to your home by a fire.
Here is a little more in-depth on how fire damages and smoke damages can be the result of in-home smoking:
Smoking can cause fire damage because they are literally 'on fire.' When a cigarette or cigar is left unaccounted for there are items that can be flammable that can create a disaster. When an open flame (such as a lit cigarette) touches in-home items like blankets, carpet, and couch fibers -- a fire is likely to occur when exposed.
One of the hardest things to sell is a home that has been occupied by a smoker. The smell has been proven to be one of the toughest odors to fully remove from a home or business. Smoke smells can stay in cupboards, vents, ceilings, and other areas that are not simple fabric for years to come.
How to Clean
Smoke can be hard to get rid of once it is in your home. The best way to clean smoke is to make sure you are doing regular deep cleans. Another option is to call in a professional cleaning company to help rid your home of the smoke smell. SERVPRO® of Madison, Rockcastle, Garrard, & Lincoln Counties specializes in cleaning and has for many years.
For more information on how deodorization works when it comes to cleaning your home of unwanted odors, call our office today at 859-623-0000.
Flooded Basement can lead to Mold Damage in Basement
Mold Damage in your Basement
When a storm happens, there can be a lot of damage that occurs to your home. The water damages to your flooded basement can create mold spores to spread; especially, when water damage from storms is left over a period of time. The chances of mold growth after leftover water increase exponentially. Here are a few ways to help combat that:
- Rid the area of the water. The moisture needs to be cleaned up and fast.
- All porous contents should be removed. This includes carpet, flooring, drywall, etc.
- Appliances that contain insulation should be thrown out because they can be a breeding ground for mold to spread and create more spores.
- Heating and air conditioning filters need to be changed. This may require having a specialist come out to clean HVAC or even replace it.
- Non-porous materials and surfaces will need to be professionally cleaned depending on the extent of the damage.
When water damage happens to your home or business, call the professionals. And, call them as soon as you can, so we can help keep your home from possible mold. Call our offices today for more information on mold cleaning and testing at 859-623-0000.
Have a Plan
Fire Emergencies require a Plan
When a fire breaks out in your home, it can be scary and hard to navigate. The best way to get out safely and create a plan for your family is to be prepared. Here are a few ways to keep your or your family safe:
- Escape Plan- Make an escape plan, and keep your family in the know of where, when, why, and how. Also, remind them of fire safety tips. Examples: Do not open a hot door, and keep your mouth closed and covered to stop yourself from breathing smoke directly.
- Rope Ladders: With many homes that are multiple stories, the best way to exit a home that an active fire may prevent regular exits is through a rope ladder.
- Fire Extinguishers: For a fire that could be extinguished from an at-home extinguisher. Keep one in the kitchen and other areas that could break out in smaller fires.
- Stove Fire: Use pans to suffocate it, or use baking soda or fire extinguishers to put out these fires.
When fires damage your home, please call us at 859-623-0000. We have technicians on standby to help with fire damage cleanup. Certified and trained, we are here to help!
Residents of London, Somerset, Corbin, and other surrounding areas: The How and Why of Fire Damage Odors
SERVPRO® of Pulaski and Laurel Counties and Odor Removal
Fire damages in your home can cause a lot of damages. They can even create a lasting impact on your home for months and years if the odors are not handled correctly.
What impacts an odor?
There are a variety of factors that causes odors to linger in your home after fire damages. Depending on the type of fire, the materials that were impacted, and the length of time that the fire lasted-- are all factors that illustrate how odors need to be removed.
How do odors get removed?
One method often falls to portable machines like thermal foggers. The machines can produce a gaseous compound that can penetrate services to reach trapped odor molecules and eliminate them from your home.
How does SERVPRO® of Pulaski and Laurel Counties remove odors in your home?
There are a few different ways SERVPRO® of Pulaski and Laurel Counties might address odor removal in the most efficient method:
Call our offices today to find out more information on how we can help get your odor removed.
Commercial Water Damage: Emergency Water Clean-up
No Job Too Big or Small for SERVPRO® of Madison, Rockcastle, Garrard, & Lincoln Counties
A water main break in a sprinkler system went off in a part of the building that impacted several levels, multiple offices, and the main congregation room, and part of the basement.
In this historic commercial church, the water damage occurred in the afternoon and was ran for several hours before our team was called. We responded immediately and had the equipment and team members on site.
This job required extra desiccant machines because of the large square footage of the building for drying. The property managers of this commercial building said they would trust SERVPRO® of Madison, Rockcastle, Garrard, & Lincoln Counties again with all other emergency damages in the future.
We are always here to help 24/7 and 365 days of the year.
Call our offices today for more information on water damage clean-up at 859-623-0000.
Walking into your bathroom and seeing a toilet overflow, to plainly put it, stinks. When water backs up and creates a mess in your home, it makes damages that need to be cleaned. Unlike some water damages-- this type can be highly contaminated. Here are a few tips from the pros on how to safely contain contaminated water damages in your home:
- Stay out of affected areas by the water damage.
- Treat all bodily fluids as if they could be contaminated.
- Turn off the HVAC system, if there is sewage damage in the home.
- Call us, SERVPRO® of Madison, Rockcastle, Garrard, & Lincoln Counties at 859-623-0000.
All in all, water damages can be scary regardless of what kind they are, but sewage backup and toilet overflow water damages are a different type altogether. Watch out for these damages in your home and follow the tips we shared. It could save your family from getting sick from the damages. We are here to help, so let the professionally safely and effectively, clean and dry, your toilet overflow water damage.
Water Damage: Sewage Edition
Sewage is an emergency damage, residents of Richmond, Berea, Waco, and Mt. Vernon should call our offices for sewage damage clean-up.
We Clean the Yucky Stuff
When sewage damage occurs, it is treated a little differently than your average water damage. Water that is the result of sewage from a sewer system backup should be considered highly contaminated. This puts the water damage in a different category for clean-up. When water damage is a category 3, extra precaution is taken.
If you have sewage damage, it is best to call the professionals, but here a few tips if sewage damage happens in your home.
- Call For Help: Get in touch with your sewage company to make sure the problem is not ongoing and will not happen again before you can get the first mess cleaned up.
- Dry the Area: Call SERVPRO® of Madison, Rockcastle, Garrad, & Lincoln Counties to bring equipment, PPE, and trained technicians to get the area dried out. Not only will we restore the area, but the reconstruction will have to take place since carpet, padding, drywall, and other structural necessities will have to be removed upon arrival.
- Sanitize: Floodwater resulting from sewer damage can be toxic, so be thorough in your cleaning processes even after the water is dried out. Even sanitizing several times is not a bad idea.
- Dehumidify: One piece of equipment that needs to be running at all times during sewage damage clean-up is a dehumidifier. This helps to keep mold at bay during the process.
For more information on sewage damages and what to do, call our offices today at 859-623-0000.
Storm Damage: Be Prepared
Spring Storms: How to Stay Safe and Prepared
When storms occur, there are ways to stay safe.
The National Weather System recommends different ways to stay safe during and after the storm. Here are a few tips:
During the Storm:
- Use your battery-operated NOAA Weather Radio for updates.
- Avoid contact with corded phones. Cordless/Cellular phones are safe to use.
- Avoid contact with electrical equipment or cords.
- Stay away from windows and doors.
- Unplug appliances and electrical items, like computers. Power surges from lightning can cause serious damage.
After the Storm:
- Never drive through a flooded roadway.
- Stay away from places where storm-damage has occurred to stay out of harm's way.
- Stay away from downed power lines and report them immediately.
- Call 9-1-1 if you need immediate assistance or if anyone has been hurt from the storm.
When severe weather damages happen, call SERVPRO® of Madison, Rockcastle, Garrard, & Lincoln Counties to help clean up after the storm.
Storm Damage --'Tis the Season
The Water You Don't See
Water damage occurs in a variety of ways. During a storm, water can come in from the top of your home or the bottom. Water damage can even occur without you knowing that it did. There are a few ways you can prepare your home or business for storm season. Below we have listed a few ways to prepare:
1. One of the ways that water can come in from the top is through your roof. If the shingles on your roof are not secure, the water can slip through. Or, if you have stopped-up gutters. This is why so many home specialists recommend cleaning your gutters out before the spring season occurs.
2. Another way that water can come in without you knowing it, is from the ground. From the bottom of your property, groundwater can enter through garages and basements. When that happens, basements and garages can become flooded with inches of water.
Keep your home or business safe this spring season by doing some minor touch-ups to your home. It will help keep the water out.