What do you do after flooding?
Flood Waters 101
A lot of resources will give you updates on how to handle floodwaters before and during the emergency. We are going to give you some tips on what to do AFTER the flood is subsiding. Here are a few tips on how to handle flooded areas in your home or surrounding areas.
- Avoid driving through flooded areas and standing water.
- Do not drink flood water or use it to wash dishes, brush teeth, or wash/prepare food.
- If you evacuated: return to your home only after you know that your water is safe for drinking and bathing.
- Throw away any food and bottled water that comes/may have come in contact with floodwater.
- Prevent carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. Use generators at least 20 ft from any doors, windows, or vents in or around your home